Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Collateral Circumstance" - Fill in the Blank Poem

Based on "Red Shift" by Ted Berrigan. This probably isn't apparent to many, but I was trying to reference the plot of the Japanese light novel and anime series, Haruhi Suzumiya.


Here I am at 7:58 A.M. with indispensable red bicycle frame
The air is humid, April, bright sunshine
on the way to high school in hilly streetscape
I drink some tea which raises my spirits
and encourages me to have patience and to think
In. The streets look for the chosen one, the destined one, or me, perhaps I
was selected for some obscure reason or not, it's
complicated, confusing to a high degree, hard on me, I drudge
through it, them, as
The daughter sipped on soda, watching the game now
three years almost ago, and the man explaining
Is her father, informative, realistic, accurate, & telling.
Who would have thought that I'd be here, nothing
known, nothing clear, everything
cloudy, abstract, monochrome, hidden, uncertainty,
a fleeting sensation of incompleteness,
Up in the emptiness of the closed void, now
more than ever before?
Not that quiet, queer, nymph in traditional uniform coat
eyes penetrating the book she held
& read in the barren room. Not that pretty damsel, sixteen, who was
going to have to go, careening into far future so,
To investigate, & to learn much more than even she could imagine
so to go. Not that eccentric, unpredictable girl who from very first meeting
I would never & never realize the hell she could cause upon her entry
into the school & so demanded
To form the group & who will never leave me, not for fame, nor money
nor even for the planet which is
Only our human lot & means nothing to this girl. No, not her, it can’t be.
There's a song. “God knows”, but no, I won't do that
I am 15. When will I die? I will never die. I will live
To be the unsung savior, & I will never go away, & you will never escape from me
who am always & only a boy in your class, despite this event, Spirit
Who lives only to help others.
I'm only human, & I am just a normal human, & I didn't ask for this
You made it happen
I came into your life to enlighten and transform it & now
our bond is final, unwavering, unyielding
To the predisposition of others
Cynical & willing, unfortunate fate, nevertheless
I accompany you
The world's mercy is at your disposal, with me stubbornly stuck in the center.

No comments: