Friday, October 26, 2007

College Essay


Despite having submitted this as my college essay, I feel I could have done a much better job on this; it was rushed to say the least. Even though it is supposed to be about me, I can't help but feel that the essay makes me sound a bit egotistical... But then again, maybe that's just me...

Committed Computer Champion

“Are you sure you want to remove this folder? An unknown error has occurred. Do you want to replace these files? You are about to enter an encrypted page. Continue?” Yes. Ok. No. Yes. The bright glow of the LCD monitor contrasts starkly from the dim lighting of my room. As I navigate through the graphical user interface of the operating system, endlessly tweaking my new computer to perfection, I notice the time on the bottom left corner of the screen. It’s 2:18 AM. What I had hoped would only last a half hour became an extended journey of several hours. But I am not tired. I only feel motivated, driven to optimize my system after meticulously building it from the ground up. Thankfully, it’s a Saturday.

One of my greatest passions is computers. Whether it’s fixing them, building them, or buying them, I get an exhilarating surge when working with these complex machines that have revolutionized lives around the world. I was exposed to computers at a young age; my family bought our first one when I was 5 years old. All I knew back then was how to load up some educational games. As I entered middle school, I relied on computers for homework and research, especially with the advent of easily accessible internet during the early 2000s. Around this time, I took a great interest in how computers work when my own computer began acting sluggish, as if it had contracted an illness. Although it wasn’t a computer virus, it was a form of malicious spyware, something I could have easily prevented. I dedicated myself from that day on to train myself to diagnose and fix these nuisances, among other computer annoyances. I finally discovered one of my few inherent talents.

However, when high school started, my daily schedule began filling with more homework, more extracurricular activities, and more responsibilities than ever before. Time once spent surfing the web or digging through system files was now devoted to math problems, essays, club meetings, and household chores. Despite the little time I now had to tinker with software and hardware, I received more requests from friends, family, and acquaintances for computer support. My fluency with computers increased constantly – there is always something new to learn. Eventually, I found the right balance between academics, play, and computer time, granting me the motivation to continue my studies diligently while also pursuing the one hobby I found irresistible.

Nowadays, I strive to further perfect the equilibrium of lifestyles that I have chosen. Whether helping teachers at school with simple setup tasks, aiding friends with their new computers, or reading new methods to implement programs and tweaks, I integrate my skills into everyday life. Computers aren’t just a hobby. They are my life.

No comments: